Monday, August 10, 2009

Member Motivation Alma 36/Mosiah 27

HOLA!

I think even those of you who can not speak spanish understand hello. haha. So another week in the life here in Georgia. It has been a good one. Still very hard. We are still struggling with finding investigators.
So lets just focus on the positive. makes me a happier person. so this week we did very well on our goals teaching 29 lessons this week. also we were given a wonderful member referral by our branch president. Her name is Marta and she is super nice. We have been providing service for her twice a week and teaching her. She has so many questions and you can really tell she is a humble seeker of truth.
Right now we have 5 baptismal dates. The closest one coming on august 22nd. He is a great guy! his name is Humberto and i guess the missionaries have been working with him for the past ten months. haha. I just so happened to get here right after he decided to be baptized. I think it will be a great experience for Elder Mundt as well. He has yet to baptize on his mission. of course he is only 2 transfers out. but i am glad he'll have this one under his belt. good confidence booster every time you see someone be baptized!
So i guess that is all i really have to report on this week. haha. well so you guys have something insightful from me i will share what i have studied and learned, and one of my favorite lessons developed to motivate members into sharing the gospel with friends and family. developed by yours truly. =)
Ok, so i have been spending a lot of time lately reading the ensign. The article called opening the heavens is absolutely amazing! I have loved reading and pondering its message. It helps us understand the importance of a daily devotional with the lord. meaning prayer, meditation, and scripture study. In the talk President Monson gives an example of what he calls "sacred grove" moments. He explains how each and every single one of us needs to have a location we can set ourselves apart from the world.
I pondered on this and how Joseph Smith stated that the promptings of the spirit most often come in secluded, tranquil settings. I'm paraphrasing of course but you get the idea. I know that we must focus our thoughts with the lord every morning. He is all knowing! We must pray with the faith we need, knowing we'll receive answers to our daily struggles in life.
This brings me to my next topic. Motivation to find someone to share the gospel with. This is something I discovered very early on in my mission. my mission is very member oriented. without the members the work goes EXTREMELY slow! so i often share this with members to help them feel motivated to help us as missionaries. First, we are going to start in Alma 36.
This chapter is the prophet Alma speaking to his son Helaman. Here he begins to re-tell the story of when he was converted unto the lord and "born again". Now I want all of you to ponder for a moment the importance of Alma in the Book of Mormon. Alma was a mighty prophet and historian and because of his records we have the largest portion of history in the book of Mormon. Now, it is not any coincidence that Mormon felt inspired to do so. He did this because he knew that the words of the prophet Alma would have a great benefit for us in these days.
Done pondering? Good. haha. So lets begin in Alma 36:6. (I wont be typing all the scriptures so I hope you all have yours handy) Here Alma describes of his great transgression. "Seeking to destroy the church of God". Now Alma was to be stopped from doing this and thus an angel appeared unto him. The angel caused great fear to come over Alma and he began to understand the power God. (Alma 36:7-13)
Now i want to take a look at Alma 36:14. Here Alma describes the greatest point of his anguish. "that the very thought of coming into the presence of my God did rack my soul with inexpressible horror." Think about that statement. Alma knew he was not worthy to come into the presence of the lord. And in his moments of great anguish and pain he remembers something his father had taught him. Alma 36:17 "I remembered to have heard my father prophesy unto the people concerning the coming of one Jesus Christ"
It is this that brings Alma out of his state of misery and great anguish. He calls upon the son of God and is filled with joy. (Alma 36:18-21) Now lets look at verse 22. This is the change that has been wrought in Alma. this is the mighty change of heart he experiences. He states..."Yea, methougth I saw, even as our father Lehi saw, God sitting upon his throne, surrounded with numberless concourses of angels, in the attitude of singing and praising their God; YEA, AND MY SOUL DID LONG TO BE THERE." What a change to experience. To go from Inexpressible horror to longing to be in the presence of God.
I have come to find that this is what it means to be truly converted to the Gospel. We no longer wish to sin but we wish do only those this which pleases the father that we may one day be with him. I have seen this change come about my investigators as they have gone from no desire of knowing who God is to a driven desire to follow his commandments.
So now how the question is are we converted to the gospel? if so, how can we know we are? Alma 36:23-24. Are we sharing our Joy? I know the lord will bless us as we strive to share the gospel with those around us. As we do this let us discern who has been prepared by the lord to receive his word or even how we can better prepare someone, to receive his word.(Alma 36:25-26)
Now don't finish the chapter just yet. We are going to flip to Mosiah 27 now. In this chapter, It is the conversion of Alma in real time. Not a re-telling. I want to point out something very important as we begin to apply this to ourselves as members of the true church of Christ. Mosiah 27:14 This scripture is powerful. To see the angel declare the reason why he has appeared to Alma and the sons of Mosiah. "the Lord hath heard the prayers of his people... therefore, for this purpose have i come to convince thee of the power and authority of God"
Ponder this, What would have happened if there would have been no FAITHFUL prayers to bring Alma "To the knowledge of the truth"? We would never have received his words or his great history. There is much more i could expound upon within these chapters but i think you all get the point. When was the last time we prayed with faith and diligence to bring someone "to the knowledge of the truth"? When it is all said and done ask yourself "Whose angel will I be? Who will I bring to the knowledge of the truth?" now finish Alma 36 and if you'd like there is much more in Mosiah 27. And when your done... Get to work! I love you all! I know that we will bring many people to the knowledge of the gospel as we apply these principles. I have seen it work. In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Elder Erick Delgado


No comments: