Saturday, July 31, 2010

OOOPS, sorry! I have fallen behind on posting...

I am sorry that I have not been posting Elder Delgado's e-mails this month. It has been crazy busy for me. But here they are...

MONDAY JULY 5th, 2010...
Hello Family: How is everyone doing? I am in a bit of a rush right now because the libraries are closed and we are using the computer at the webb bridge apartment complex.
Anyways... the big news this week is that there was a baptism for a wonderful woman named ana. She is 31 and had a great spirit about her. she was taught by Elder Carnley and Elder Sechrest. You can see in her the great joy that the gospel has brought into her life. It is always refreshing to see a good baptism.
This week we had some great success. Marcel, the woman from venezuela came to church. She had a great time and was able to meet the other venezuelan members. All and all it was a good week.
There is going to be a bunch of changes made in the mission and i will let you know what is going on next week I'm sorry this is so short but there is a woman waiting and you can just tell she is not a happy camper. who wants to be held up by missionaries? anyways... I love you all, and francys... i am proud of you for the marathon! good work.

Much Love,
Elder Erick Delgado

MONDAY JULY 12th, 2010...

Hello family and friends!
So it was another great week here in Georgia. It is crazy to think how many things can occur in just one week's time. It started on monday with an exchange to the webb bridge area. They are a bike area and i went with Elder Gubler. I will tell you what... I felt so out of shape riding a bike! I gained a lot more respect for the english elders who do not have cars. It is tough work. Hopefully, Elder Blair and I will have some working bikes to ride around on. It was tough... but a ton faster than walking.
Wednesday we all got together for interviews and we were informed by president King about some of the changes that will be occuring. The church has made a change and will be spending more focus on training how to become effective gospel teachers. This will include a curriculum of 8 areas. President King will be the one in charge of teaching it to the leaders and trainers in the mission. This means that in the last week in July we will be attending a 4 day training seminar! I am super stoked to go and see what new things the church wishes for us to do. I will be sure to let you know what I can when the time comes.
After interviews I went to the peachtree corners spanish area with Elder Self. Yeah... that is the place I first started my mission! It was crazy going back there! A lot of great things happened while Elder Self and I were together. I got to talk to some wonderful friends from the area and teach in a member home. It was crazy because going back made me realize how long i've been out. I also had the opportunity to have lunch with the Smith family! It was so great to see sister Smith and Regan again! We talked about a lot of different things. I really love that family so much! Regan grown even taller since the last time that I saw him. I think he is 6' 3" now. It was wild.
I think that the craziest part about the exchange was a serious flashback to the first day i came into the mission field with Elder Taylor and Elder Morris. It was our first day working together and we went to go and teach a lesson to a woman named Reyna that they had met once before. Well, she let us in the door and I still remember the wonderful spirit that I felt that day and feeling a special connection with her. She was taught all the lessons and came to church but decided she could not leave her catholic roots. That was over 1 year ago that happened. So while in the area I told Elder Self about her and he suggested we go and try to stop by. So we did... We did not find her at home because she is on vacation back in Honduras. However, there was another man i'd never met before who was there. His name is Jose. He allowed us to come in and as I walked in those doors It felt like the first day of my mission once more.
We ended up having a wonderful lesson with Jose. He was truly excited about reading the book of Mormon and to have this opportunity to hear from us. we set a return appointment and the Elders should be going back today. Having this occur caused me to reflect a lot. I have realized how much the lord has blessed me and seen how much stronger my testimony has become from day 1. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father has allowed me to come and to serve a mission for him. I have felt of his love so abundantly as I have served and I know that this experience has changed my life forever.
I came back home on Friday to work in my own area. It was good to come back after being gone for 4 days. Saturday was a long day... haha. got into 2 doors that day. oh well. that is life. on sunday, Marcel came to church again with her family. She fits right in! You can just tell that she loves going and the members treat her so well! I am praying that she continues to enjoy church and to progress in the gospel.
The Northpoint Ward is going well. Every week there is new people there. I do not think that I have gone a single week where there has not been a non-member there. We were able to recieve another referral and to meet new people. It is crazy thinking that I am serving an English ward and a Spanish branch. It is a way cool experience seeing the differance between the two.
Anyways.... that was my week. It was fun. I hope all is well back home. I love you all!

Much Love,
Elder Erick Delgado

JULY 19th, 2010...

Hello Family!
How is everyone doing? I am doing spectacular here in Georgia. I have just had such a blast this past week. I got to work with Elder Blair and Elder Thomas in a trio for a couple of days while Elder Carnley went and worked with the portugese Elders. It has made things interesting to have so many responsibilities lately. Although, it can feel overwhelming at times and stressful. I have loved every bit of it. I have seen the growth that comes from taking responsibility in the gospel. I am so very humbled that the lord would trust me to be where I am now and to work with the missionaries I am working with.
Yesterday, Elder Carnley and I went to Northpoint and showed up a little late because we had a meeting in the Cumorah Branch we had to attend. Well, it was the first time we had ever been late to a sacrament meeting and it just so happened that Elder Gibbons of the second quorum of seventy was presiding. OOPS! haha. It was ok though, we were on time for the sacrament hymn and passing. We then had the honor to hear from Elder Gibbons.
He spoke very powerfully! It was great to hear his testimony as he spoke of the importance of becoming sanctified through the Holy Ghost in our lives. He taught a wonderful doctrine of how we are to repent continually and learn from each and every trial that we have in our life. He said some powerful statements as he made his transition to speaking about the atonement and what role that has in sanctification. He taught so many wonderful things that my thought process couldn't keep up with all the information he was throwing at us. All I knew is that the spirit was testifying of the truthfullness of his message, so i listened as intently as I could.
It was moving to feel another drive from the spirit come. I felt like I was at general conference and I feel that was one of the best sacrament meeting I have been to in quite some time. I am grateful for the things that Heavenly Father has given to us in this life and for the wonderful knowledge of the gospel. I have come to understand that it is truly through the atonement of Jesus Christ that we are able to return home. That in order for us to feel the full effects of the gospel in our lives we must always remain true and faithful to the covenants we make with our loving Father in Heaven.
Many things continue to occur day by day in this world. I can't believe how fast time seems to move or how much can occur in such a short space of time. I dont plan on coming home on the 9th of december so i would suggest not to expect me then. Mom, dont make any plans to come and pick me up from the mission... I will get home and we can visit the next opportunity that we have. I am going to do my best to give it all I got for the next few months that I am here and I pray I may accomplish what the lord expects of me.
I love you and I am concerned for your safety always. Please make wise choices, Learn to recognize and follow the spirit in every aspect of your lives. He is the greatest gift we can have while here in mortality. He is the great comforter and guide. He can not fulfill his role in our lives or the plan of the Eternal Father if we live unworthily. Help others feel of that presence and always maintain the spirit as a beacon of light and hope to draw more into the true gospel of Jesus Christ.
I hope to hear from you all soon. It has been a long time since i last recieved any mail. I am not complaining. I know life is busy... I am just informing. haha. I love you all. be safe.

Much Love,
Elder Erick Delgado

JULY 26th, 2010...

Hello Family!
How is everyone doing? As usual... I am doing spectacular. sure enough there are challenges and struggles on the mission but I know that each trial we face is for our good and to allow growth. I have come to love reading the Ensign recently and absolutely loved the article "finding yourself in Lehi's Vision".
It speaks of our days and more importantly how the scriptures truly apply to us. It was amazing to read the talk and recieve new insight and understanding about the vision our ancestor Lehi had so long ago. I know that each of us will have temptations and trials in our lives but as we hold fast to the iron rod through diligent prayer, scripture study, and renewing our covenants we will have the strength the resist such temptations and overcome trials.
If you have not had the opportunity to read the ensign this month... I would strongly suggest it. It is an amazing issue. as well as the month before. I loved the talk "Things as they really are" by Elder Bednar. I have come to gain a deeper appreciation for the council and for the words of modern day apostles and prophets. They are truly inspired to lead and guide us in the direction that our Father in Heaven would have us go.
Oh, this week I had the opportunity to go and to do some wonderful things. I went to the John's creek area on exchanges this week, went to trainer/trainee meeting, and had the opportunity to see a baptism in our branch. While with the John's creek we were able to have a good sit down and talk about the things that mean most to us. I explained some feelings that i have had as I have served the lord and the things that have CHANGED who I am and allowed me to be more in harmony with our father in heaven. As we discussed these things the spirit was able to fill the room. I was so grateful for that witness we were all able to feel together. I know that the lord works in marvelous ways and I'm always so humbled to know when I am a part of his purposes in conducing the spirit to others.
During the Trainer/Trainee meeting we were able to learn about the new Mormon.Org. I want everyone who is reading this to go there right now! haha. it is that amazing! The system has completely changed and this is a huge move taken by the church. This will allow members to sign up on a social network such as Facebook or Myspace. The difference being it will be all revolved around the gospel of jesus Christ. I am not so sure how they plan on keeping everything pure so... I will ask everyone who chooses to sign up to never ever post things that are speculation. We must keep the Doctrine of the kingdom pure. As taught by Elder Bednar, the three main doctrines of the church are 1. The Godhead 2. The plan of salvation 3. The Atonement.
This is a great opportunity for members of the church to effect the lives of others in this world. check out the features! especially the "meet a mormon" link. see what the spirit teaches you and help spread the word. this was launched last thursday and is still spreading. on average only a 1/3 of ward congregations has ever visited Mormon.org. Dont fall into the category of the 2/3!
So along with all that new information we were able to have a great week in cumorah. A woman named Barbara was baptized after a year of investigating the church. Elder Carnley and Elder Thomas did a wonderful job in helping move forward in the gospel. Marcel and Camil (the ones from Venezuela) have come to church for 4 weeks without fail now and are absolutely loving everything about it. We shared the gospel of jesus Christ with them again this week and invited them to make the baptismal commitment with our father in heaven. They both want to make that commitment and allow that spirit into their lives. Unfortunately, there is an obstacle in the way.
Marcel's husband is currently incarcirated for "loitering" he has been detained for an immigrations hold for the past 5 months. Marcel and him were married through the catholic church and she does not want to make this decision without his consent. Which is something we are required to have anyways for baptism. Anyways... the jail he is in is outside of our mission and we can not visit with him. We will be sending some ward members soon to visit with him and hopefully all works out well. Marcel has communicated with him that she has been studying and going to church. He is happy to hear that she has drawn closer to God in her life. I feel this FAMILY is ready. I am praying all will work out with her husband and that he will be able to stay here in the states. Please pray for this family. We love them so much and they have accepted the gospel so well into their lives.
Well, that is about it for me. this week starts our crazy four day training seminar by president King. It will be a long week and I can already tell I'm going to be drained. I love you all and I am praying for you. I hope to hear from you and give thanks to those who keep in touch frequently. I am grateful for your love and support always!

Much Love,
Elder Erick Delgado

No comments: